Buellton was incorporated on February 1, 1992 and operates under a five-member City Council, five-member Planning Commission, five member Parks and Recreation Commission and City Manager form of government. The City adopted a general plan and also established a Redevelopment Agency for a project area of about 180 acres in November 1993.
1920 is the year that the last of the five towns of the Santa Ynez Valley was established, Buellton. However, looking back into the history of the area, the Buell Ranch was a complete town within itself as far back as 1875. By that date R.T. Buell had established a general store, a post office, bunkhouses, blacksmith shop and family homes.
R.T. Buell was born in Essex, Vermont on November 12, 1827 to Linus and Hannah Buell, his forbearers coming from England many years before. R.T. grew up on a farm, learning all the trades, as well as receiving a good education, as he attended Oberlin College in Ohio for three years…read more